Monday, October 27, 2014

It is WELL with my Soul/Secrets of SATISFACTION

This week, I find out whether or not I passed the MD bar exam. Nothing is as I expected it to be. Truth be told, I’m unsettled by the uncertainty that seems to have infiltrated every nook and cranny of my life. I’m trying not to be overcome with fear and doubt. But, it is hard to keep a positive confession.

Just a few moments ago, I was reminded of my place/role in the world. It is not my job to plan everything or figure everything out. It is my job to be content with what is, focus on what I can control, release what I cannot, prepare for the next task, ask for discernment and execute accordingly.

Q: how/why was I reminded of this?

A: a door figuratively closed in face today (MINI-RANT: I’m frustrated by the growing number of “thanks but no thanks” letters from potential employers in my inbox. I’m also weary of wondering each day/week/month how my financial obligations would be met since temporary employment engagements are tenuous at best). But, then God opened a window: after being told last week that all future doc review projects were on hold indefinitely, I was staffed on another short-term project that begins tomorrow. This surprising placement reminded me that I don’t have a reason to worry. All can and will be well.

(SIDEBAR: On days when I am not working, good portions of my day belong to Hallmark Movies and Mysteries channel. There’s Murder, She Wrote from 7a-9a. Diagnosis Murder from 1p-3p. Matlock comes on from 3p-5p. Today on Matlock, Ben was directing a choir singing a song about all being well with my soul. That prompted me to search YouTube. I’m not sure if this is the song Ben Matlock was directing, but I like this version by Mahalia Jackson:

 


 

Here are some of the lyrics Horatio G. Spafford penned in 1873:

“When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.”)


So, I have decided that come what may at 4:30p on Friday, October 31st, I will be okay. Of course, I want to pass the bar exam the first time. Yes, this would be a beacon of hope in the vast darkness of my ever mounting disappointments. But, if it does not come, I vow not to fall apart. I hope that I will be giving God the glory for His favor. But, it I have to swallow my pride and regret on Friday, so be it.

Passing or failing the bar exam does not define me. Just as I was blessed with provision today, I know whatever my needs are will be supplied tomorrow by God. I must not focus on what I do not have. I know that I will be taken care of. Everything that happens to me and for me is part of a divine plan to prepare me for the next great place in my life.   

Listening to this song while reflecting on the events of today reminded me of a sermon Rev. Dr. Howard-John Wesley preached a few weeks ago (http://www.alfredstreet.org/videos-on-demand/the-secret-of-satisfaction-rev-dr-howard-john-wesley) entitled “The Secret of Satisfaction.” Here are my sermon notes:

Scripture: 

Philippians 4 New King James Version (NKJV)
Philippian Generosity
10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ[b] who strengthens me.

14 Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress. 15 Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only. 16 For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account. 18 Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. 19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20 Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Philippians 4 New International Version (NIV)

Thanks for Their Gifts
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 

NOTES:

  • Context of this passage: Paul writes to encourage the Philippians
    • The Philippians sent Epaphroditus to assist Paul but Paul sent Epaphroditus back because Epaphroditus couldn't help Paul while he was in jail
  • Content means to possess enough; to be satisfied
  • God wants us to be content/satisfied
  • It is not enough to be content at the end of our journey(s); we must be content along the way
    • Appreciate your current blessings
  • (Rhetorical) Q: Can you be content with the life God has given you?

Secrets of Satisfaction

    1. Don't compare yourself to other saints
      • Ppl have different talents, skills, abilities
      • You can't beat someone at being them
      • Don't be envious of ppl who are seemingly doing better than other ppl
    2. Be content with your status
      • Most ppl know how to connect with God when they have a little
      • Many ppl forget about life when they have plenty/more
    3. Don't complain about your situation
      • You have more to be grateful for than to complain about
    4. Be satisfied that God will supply your need
      • God will do for you what you cannot do for yourself

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home