Sunday, September 02, 2012

Faith Without Works Is Dead

A convo I had with my closest genealogical ascendants this past Saturday morning made me think to read James 2:14-26 before church today. The New King James Version (NKJV) reads:


14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[

a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
 25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

[Pasted from <
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James+2%3A14-26&version=NKJV> ]

The Ps are in a pickle and I worry that they are resorting to microwave (i.e. "set it and forget it") faith. When we talked about how to make the best out of their less than ideal situation, the only solution they wanted to talk about was prayer. 

Now don't get me wrong, I believe prayer is very powerful & that it changes things (SN: I have seen this time and time again in my own life. And I thank Him for what He has done based on my prayers alone). BUT I also believe faith is a verb. Yes, God works on our behalf, even when we do "nothing". But, sometimes we can't sit idly by doing nothing. There must be works to accompany our faith! (RESTATED-> We should do something!!!) Unfortunately, the P's don't think they can do anything. I hope they change their perspective soon to be in line with this quote that I recently retweeted: Inspirational Quotes (@Inspire_Us) "Participate in life instead of just watching it pass you by."

It is my fervent prayer that Christians choose to actively wait on God, as they are divinely directed. More specifically, I pray the P's seek God's face as well as open their ears that they might hear and their eyes that they may hear what they should do. I pray God's will be done and that they are spared for purposeless pain. Grant them peace and strength. In Jesus' name I pray, AMEN!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home