Wednesday, January 23, 2013

“Eve” to my “Adam”

My goal is to reread the Bible from Genesis to Revelation in 365 days. [SIDE NOTE: to aid it in this endeavor, I bought myself Gary Chapman's love languages devotional Bible. In 2013, I want to further develop my love for God, my family, other members of my support network (i.e. friends, sorority sisters, classmates, work acquaintances, etc.)] Earlier this month, I read Genesis chapters one through three. These passages detailed to the creation of earth, including man and woman, as well as the fall from grace and being banished from the Garden of Eden. This afternoon, I have been thinking about something that stuck out to me in the creation story I read: the creation of woman and her connection to man.

Genesis 2 states in pertinent part:

18 Then the Lord God said that, "it is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him."
19 So the Lord God formed from the ground all of the wild animals and all of the birds of the sky…
20 …But there was no helper just right for him.
21 So the Lord caused man to fall into a deep sleep. While the man slept, the Lord God took out one man's ribs and closed up the opening.
22 Then the Lord God made woman from the rib, and brought her to the man.
         23 "At last!" the man exclaimed. "This one is bone from my bone, and flesh from my flesh…"
24 This is why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.

I cannot wait to be (re)united with the one whose rib I was made from (i.e. God's life match for me; the one who I am to help and I'm just right for). While I do not know if I have (or when I will) meet “the one”, I am ecstatic about the possibilities and pray to progress in the way God intends and in the timing God intends. God's will, and NOT my desires, be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home