Wednesday, November 07, 2012

4 more for 44!!!

Less than an hr ago, MSNBC declared President Barack Obama to be re-elected!!!!  
 


Words CANNOT express my delight....WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** 
To be honest, given the totality of the circumstances, I wasn't always sure that President Obama would win a second-term. It wasn't that I thought Mitt Romney was a formidable opponent or a masterful campaigner. I merely thought Gov. Romney was going to reap the reward of running against an incumbent with the less than robust economic figures and upside down right-track/wrong-track polls. I was worried that voters would be discouraged by long lines, fewer early voting days/hours/locations, new voter ID rules, etc. I was afraid that in a post-Citizens United world, the money and ideas of a few wealthy individuals and corporations would dictate the election outcome with their barrage of deceptive advertisements. 

Although I accept that "spin" is a part of politics, I was concerned we'd gotten to a point in American politics where the electorate would be wholly hoodwinked by an elaborate smoke and mirrors game. I was almost convinced we were stuck in the alternate reality where an inconsistent/undefined plan was better and the more statements are questioned about the extent of their factual basis, the more they were true.

But, thankfully, the shenanigans of the 2012 election cycle lead to hope springing eternal. In the face of a possible Romney/Republican-agenda reality, the majority of the American electorate remembered the hope and change we fell in love with four years ago. Although in some instances it has only partially realized or frustratingly delayed, the majority of the American electorate did NOT deny President Obama the chance to continue the good work his administration started for, by and with us.

When First Lady Michelle Obama came to my school is when it happened for me.

She told those of us in the audience how the difference between winning and losing the state of North Carolina in 2008 was only a few votes per precinct. I knew I didn't want to wake up on November 7th wishing I could've done more. From that day forward, I expanded my goal of getting myself out to vote for President Obama in 2012. I donated what little I could to the campaign from my law school student "income." I encouraged my Facebook friends, Twitter followers and as many people to get registered to vote, educated on the issue and out to vote both during early voting and on election day. 

This picture captures what was was instilled in me by the First Lady and what I tried to instill in my circle:
 

 
NOW comes the hard part: reuniting our country after a divisive election. BUT, it can be done!!!
 
AND for those of us who call ourselves Christians, the bible commands us to:

Submission to the Authorities
Romans 13
New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)


1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4 For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Pasted from <
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+13&version=NIV1984
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home