Friday, October 19, 2012

Transparency->WWJD

It has been said "the most dangerous lies are the ones we tell ourselves."

While I do believe honesty is ALWAYS the best policy, I do not think delayed recognition of accidental self-dishonesty (i.e. that unfortunate period that sometimes occurs before self-actualization) is intentionally malicious always. Perhaps, sometimes we hope against hope and plan for something to be true. But as Nobel Prize-winning author John Steinbeck wrote in his famous novel: "[t]he best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry."

Yesterday, my plan not to fret went awry. Numerous times in various ways, I told myself that I wasn't going to fret about a personal matter. And I made a concerted effort not to. I attempted to redirect my attention and energy. But, I only postponed, broadened and intensified what became inevitable.

(SIDE NOTE: I feel compelled to write this morning in part because I dislike when people misrepresent themselves in any way. In keeping this blog and in my personal interactions, I do not want to misrepresent myself. While I do believe in the power of positive thinking, I do not think positively always. Life isn't always sunshine, unicorns and rainbows. There are struggles. Sometimes it rains. It doesn't always take a storm for a mudslide to commence.) 

An seemingly unimportant, innocuous conversation opened the floodgates to fear-based thoughts and inferences. This is unusual. I call myself rational. I'm not a fan of being lead by emotions. When the emotion-filled thought cascade started happening, I relabeled it "processing." (And did I ever "process"!)  

But, there comes a time when one must be honest with themselves. Spades must be called spades. One shouldn't try to differentiate black pots and kettles. Since hindsight is always 20/20, I'll say what I now see: truth be told, I fretted yesterday. (SIDE NOTE: What is interesting is when you are talking with someone who can see what is happening to you before you can.) 

Fortunately, fretting, like trouble, doesn't last always. (Yay for clarity of mind and peace in the morning.) Thankfully, I know that in acknowledging my human weakness is divine strength (2 Corinthians 12:9). Moreover, I'm comforted because the bible says what you are doing, in a specific instance, is right. 

Last night, I thought about this passage and this morning I read it in full:

Love for Enemies

27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Pasted from <http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%206&version=NIV>

There are things sometimes in life that people do that you just don't agree with or understand. While I know she is neither your enemy nor mine, I do find this passage instructive.

Gotta love the good book and taking the time to think: what would Jesus do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home