Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mt. Jezreel Part 2

I attended Mt. Jezreel Baptist Church today. I enjoyed myself. The choir was off the hook. It was the Voices of Thunder a.k.a. the men’s choir time in the choir seats. They sang this song called "Still Here" by the Williams Brothers. The song really spoke to my soul. I hope the lyrics will speak to yours:

Heartaches, I’ve had my share of heartaches
But I’m still here
Troubles, I’ve seen my share of troubles
But I’m still here
Bruises, I’ve taken my lumps and bruises
But I’m still here.
Loneliness, I’ve had my share of loneliness
But I’m still here.

Through it all I made it though another day’s journey
God kept me here
I made it though another day’s journey
God kept me here

Lied on, so many times I’ve been lied on
But I’m still here.
Burdens, I’ve had to bear so many burdens
But I’m still here.
Dark days, I’ve had my share of dark days
But I’m still here.
Disappointments, I’ve had so many disappointments
But I’m still here.

Through it all I made it though another day’s journey
God kept me here (I thank God I’m still here)
I made it though another day’s journey
God kept me here

Its by the grace of God that I’m still here today
He was always there, no matter what came my way
I prayed to Him in my time of need
And there he was standing right there just to see about me

I made it though another day’s journey
God kept me here
I made it though another day’s journey
God kept me here

I made it, yes I made it (A lot of people said I wouldn’t be here today)
I’m still here
I made it, yes I made it (By the Grace of God)
I’m still here
I made it, yes I made it (I had to stay up all night sometimes, tossing turning)
I’m still here

Through it all I’m still here

A guest preacher, Reverend Jerome McFarland spoke on relationships. Given the current state of affairs in my life, that was exactly the kind of message that I needed to hear. Rev. McFarland and his wife have been married for 46 years. (Their 47th Wedding Anniversary is coming up next week Saturday…Isn’t Black, Christian love beautiful?) He said that it is not an accident that their marriage had survived that long. He attributed the relationship’s health and longevity to a foundation in God and Christian principles. For those of us who were listening he had some tips:
1. Make an agreement not to fuss and fight-
- Arguments cause unnecessary consternation.
- Learn to discuss intelligently and not argue ignorantly.
- Bring all problems to the Lord in prayer (together and separately).
2. Treat you mate as your best friend and brother/sister-Biblical Reference:
24A man who has friends must himself be friendly,[a] But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother
-Proverbs 18:24 (New King James Version)
17A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity.
-Proverbs 17:17 (New King James Version)
3. Forgive at all costs-Biblical Reference:
12 “Forgive us the wrongs we have done, as we forgive the wrongs that others have done to us... 14 If you forgive others the wrongs they have done to you, your Father in heaven will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive the wrongs you have done.”
-Matthew 6:12,14,15 (New King James Version)
4. Love your family, friends, and mate as God loved you-Biblical Reference:
Love and Joy Perfected
9"As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
11These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.”
-John 15:9-12 (New King James Version)

Question: How much did God love us?
Answer: John 3:16 (New King James Version)
16”For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”

Question: How does one describe God’s love for us (this is also the love that we should have for each other)?
Answer: 1 Corinthians 13:4-10 (New King James Version)
4”Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”

*That was my spiritual food for the week. I hope it quenches someone else’s thirst as well.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home