Saturday, July 16, 2005

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

So I decided to stay in Dr. S’s class. We will see how this goes…

Last night was very cleansing. A friend of mine went with me to Kinkos to print my poster for the summer research symposium. Next we went to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner. We returned to my room to watch “Diary of a Mad Black Woman.” My friend had never seen it. I love the movie and thought there would be no better way to end a “girls night.”

While I am in the group of people who subscribe that the play is much better than the movie, I cannot take anything away from the powerful work of art that is the movie. There isn’t a person who could relate to one of the characters. We all have loved. We all have lost. We all have been the bad guy. We all have been the good guy. Personally, I identify a lot with Helen and her situation. She is going through on a higher level what I am dealing with right now.

Tyler Perry is a wonderful writer. I have to buy all of his DVDs. I can’t wait for the play to be released on DVD so I can buy it. The music was also incredible. There is one gospel song near the end that really spoke to me. The song “Father Can You Hear Me” by Tamela Mann. Here are the lyrics:

Father can you hear me
We need your love today
I know that you are listening
You hear men everyday
Father please hear us
And we will be ok
Father we need you to heal families today
Father can you hear me
I'm calling on your name
Not Budda nor Muhammed
But it's Jesus we cry out loud
Father just forgive us
Hear us when we say
We'll give ya, give ya, give you everything
Our lives and souls today
Father you know we need it
I've never seen so much pain
We have the faith for now
Your victory we will gain
Father you know we mean it
There's no more heart of stone
Were ready for your power
Now the sin is gone
(Lead) Father
(Choir) Can you hear me now?
[REPEAT 4X's]
(Choir) He will say
(Lead) He will say yes
(Choir) yes, yes, yes, yes
(Lead) say yes Lord
(Choir) yes, yes
(Lead) yes to your will Jesus, yes to your will
(Choir) yes, yes
(Lead) come on say yes
(Choir) "yes,yes"
(Lead) say yes
(Choir) "yes,yes"
(Lead) come on raise your hand an say yes
(Choir) "yes,yes"
Ooh Lord
Can you heal even me Lord?
See I'm comin’ to you Lord just as I am
I'm in need of the blood of the lamb
Oh my oh my soul says yes, yes! (Choir: "yes,yes")
Can you heal even me? (Choir: "yes,yes")
I know I can’t do this by myself! (Choir: "yes,yes")
I surrender all! (Choir: "yes,yes")

Do you believe? (Choir: "yes,yes")
Somebody sing! (Choir: "yes,yes")
Somebody ought to send up a song! (Choir: "yes,yes")
Lift up so hands in joy! (Choir: "yes,yes")
Lift up so hands for the king! (Choir: "yes,yes")

WHEW! I am sooooo psyched every time I hear that song. I am encouraged and I find peace. Thank you Jesus!

P.S. I am not an angry black woman. I am a hurt black woman. It takes time to heal wounds of the heart. With God on my side, I will be successful. I can and will love (just as importantly trust) again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sable. Like I told you during our "girls night" that evening, you're right that movie is sooo relatable. If you've ever loved you can really relate to at least one of the characters.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home