Sunday, June 19, 2005

I Love My Papa

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY! Today in church, we talked about Abraham. He was the father of his people. He provided for them. He led them. That is what fathers do. Pastor Spearman also showed us the biblical instructions on how to treat our fathers:

“1 My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands;
2For length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.
3Let not mercy and truth forsake you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart,
4And so find favor and high esteem in the sight of God and man.
5Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;
6In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct[a] your paths.
7Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and depart from evil.”-Proverbs 3:1-7

The law that is referenced is the Ten Commandments. For today’s purpose, we focused on parental commandment:

“16Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.” -Deuteronomy 5:16

This Father’s Day has a special meaning to me. This Father’s Day falls on Juneteenth Day, the liberation of the slaves. While I know there is no such thing as being “liberated” from a father, on this day I realize that he is in the process of shifting his role in my life. My father provided for me. My father has led me. Now things are changing. Gone are the days when he was my primary problem solver and emotion protector. Back in those days, all I had to do was tell him that something was broken. Then he would fix it. In keeping with this theme of growth and maturity, I chose a poem that explains how I feel:

“Before I was myself you made me, me
With love and patience, discipline and tears,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,
Allowing me to sail upon my sea,
Though well within the headlands of your fears.
Before I was myself you made me, me
With dreams enough of what I was to be
And hopes that would be sculpted by the years,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,
Relinquishing your powers gradually
To let me shape myself among my peers.
Before I was myself you made me, me,
And being good and wise, you gracefully
As dancers when the last sweet cadence nears
Bit by bit stepped back to set me free.
For love inspires learning naturally:
The mind assents to what the heart reveres.
And so it was through love you made me, me
By slowly stepping back to set me free.”
-J. Marques

At age nineteen, I am slowly drifting from childhood to young adulthood. I was aware this was happening before. But certain situations have brought it to the forefront. Now I am the primary problem solver and emotion protector. My father is still there for me in those capacities, but it is a secondary role. I am not saying that I am too “grown” for his care. I know that as long as he is living, he will not forsake me in those capacities. He will always be my “Papa”. I will always be his “baby girl”. I love my Papa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home